OUR HISTORY

The Humane Society of Hobart, Inc. is a charity registered under IRS 501 (c)(3).

It was founded and received its charter in 1954. Before this time, people were struggling to find a solution to the ever increasing number of strays who often met a cruel fate. With no facility to hold stray and abandoned animals, valuable and loved pets were sometimes cruelly mistreated or euthanized because they had wandered from home; strays were often shot in the streets.

The shelter was founded by a group of local citizens on land donated by Bertha Jacoby. The first president, Morris Cox, started a drive to raise funds, supplies, time, labor, and material…anything people were able to give. Through the help of many, the shelter became a reality.

The Society has provided animal control for the City of Hobart since 1957.

The Humane Society of Hobart (HSH) has been serving our community for 65 years. We are proud to continue our mission to build and strengthen pet families in 2020. Most of our annual budget of $500,000 is raised by generous donations from our community. Our fundraising and development plan consist of various fundraising activities such as grant and foundation submissions, special events, online, social media, and direct appeal campaigns, and donor development initiatives. Currently HSH is building our fundraising committee to support our lifesaving work and we would be honored to have you join us.